>> GCM Gold Cup Football Tournament
As stated above, this is the only prestigious football tournament held in the Tibetan exile community in India. Although this was initiated in 1981, over the years, the tournament had suffered from lack of organizers and funds.
However, with the formation of the TNSA, efforts were made to revive the tournament. For the first time in June 2003, The Association formally took over charge and was able to successfully organize the games here in TCV Dharamsala, much to the delight of the team participants and the general public.
Aims and Objectives
The Tournament is dedicated in loving memory of the late Great Mother of His Holiness the Dalai Lama Gyalyam-Chenmo It objectives are similar in nature to that of the School wide Football Club. The GCM aims to promote football within the Tibetan Community and serve as a selection ground for the National team.
How the Tournament is Organized
Since the Tibetan Community in exile is widely spread out in various locations in India and Nepal, the preliminary rounds are organized at the regional level under the guidance of the Association. The regional groupings and game venues are as follows:
- Region: Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir >>Venue: Dharamsala
- Region: Uttranchal and Sirmur District of H.P >>Venue: Mussoorie
- Region: Sikkim, West Bengal, Orissa, Arunachal Pradesh and Megalaya >>Venue: Gangtok
- Region: Est.22 Est.22
- Region: Delhi, Chandigarh and Shimla District of H.P. >>Venue: Delhi
- Region: South India >>Venue: Mundgod
- Region: Nepal - Pokhra >>Venue: Pokhara
- Region: Nepal - Kathmandu >>Venue: Kathmandu
The qualifying team from the regional tournament is invited for the Finals to be played in TCV Dharamsala in the beginning of June each year.